Behavioral medicine deals with how thoughts and behavior impact health and disease. Over the years many scientific studies have proven that what you think and what you do has a profound effect on how you feel.
MSBMB is the Midwest Chapter of the Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback. The AAPB was formed in 1969, as a non-profit organization, under the name of the Biofeedback Research Society. The Mission was, and continues to be, the advancement, development, and utilization of applied psychophysiology and biofeedback through research, education, and practice.
Membership in AAPB and MSBMB is open to professionals interested in research and application of applied psychophysiology and biofeedback and in the scientific and professional advancement of the field. Today, over 2000 members represent the fields of psychology, medicine, nursing, social work, counseling, physical therapy, education and other health care venues from state, regional, and international chapters.
Biofeedback has become an accepted form of treatment within the medical and psychological communities. Through the effort of the Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback organization, there has been a growing interest in Integrative medicine and it has become the treatment choice for many health care issues.
The Midwest Society for Behavioral Medicine and Biofeedback (MSBMB) was founded in the early 70’s. We adhere to the ethical principles set forth by the Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback ( AAPB). These principles are intended to be preventive, educational, and action oriented. Members are required to cooperate with the Ethics and Standards Committees of either AAPP or MSBMB. To read the ethics and principles in full please click here. Our goal is to promote an exchange of ideas, clinical experience involving behavioral medicine, biofeedback, neurofeedback and related techniques, thus improving health and quality of life through research, education, and practice.
Our objectives are:
- Encouragement of scientific research and expansion of clinical and educational applications of biofeedback, and applied psychophysiology
- Integration of biofeedback with other self-regulatory methods
- Promoting high standards of professional practice, ethics, and education
- Increase member knowledge through events, publications, and educational programs
- To provide a forum for the exchange of clinical information and scientific knowledge
- Promote awareness of biofeedback for professionals as well as the general public in the benefits of self-regulation
Professionals who work in the fields of psychology, behavioral medicine, nursing, social work, counseling, physical therapy, education and other health care areas are invited to join MSBMB.