Mindfield eSense Temperature - Temperature sensor for iPhone & Android
- Track hand-warming stress exercise effectiveness
- Measure skin temperature with your phone or tablet
- Uses the microphone jack
- Export the measured values via email
The eSense Temperature is a small sensor for measuring your skin temperature with the microphone input of your smartphone or tablet (Android or Apple iOS.).
Handwarming training is an especially effective and common biofeedback method. The temperature of our hands is connected to our stress level: When we are stressed, we tend to have cold hands.
The eSense Temperature sensor attaches to your index or middle finger, or is held between your index finger and thumb. Immediate feedback enables you to voluntarily increase the skin temperature in your fingers, increasing your peripheral blood circulation, leading to relaxation and stress reduction.
The eSense Temperature provides you with exact feedback about your momentary stress level, e.g. with measurement curves, video display and audio feedback features.
The eSense Temperature has a headphone jack. This means that in addition to the auditory feedback, you can listen to music or audio books while training your stress level down!
How Does eSense Temperature Work?
Your skin's surface temperature changes due to blood circulating through your body tissue. The small blood vessels (arterioles) crossing through your tissue are surrounded by fibers of smooth muscle controlled by the sympathetic nervous system.
In a state of increased exertion, excitement and stress, your muscle fibers contract and narrow your blood vessels. This leads to a reduction of skin temperature because blood circulation through your tissue is reduced. By contrast, in a resting or calm state, your muscles relax and your blood vessels expand. Your skin temperature rises.
Mental stress often leads to a lower peripheral perfusion and a decrease in skin temperature at the hands. From an evolutionary point of view, this stress reaction serves to prepare us to "fight or flight" in a physically threatening environment because a maximum amount of blood is concentrated in the working muscles.
Conscious control of physiological stress can help you react more relaxed and more efficiently to many situations. Biofeedback is an established way to learn this kind of control.
Reduce your stress level effectively with the eSense Skin Temperature everywhere with your iOS, Android, or Amazon device.
eSense Temperature Features
- Support for Philips Hue & Magic Blue smart lights
Control color and brightness with your skin conductance or skin temperature. All different types of bulbs are supported; color, white, lightstripe, Philips Hue Go, Spots, etc. Let your stress level colorize your living room!
- Markers to set during recording, visible in CSV files
Define several preset marker texts in app settings and set them during runtime with a tap on the flag button
- Continuous sinus tone feedback
Additional to single tones
- More MP3 music files
Expanded listening options for biofeedback training
- New Auto mode
Detects minimum and maximum values in the changable time window for all biofeedback functions that work with a range of values (i.e. tones, smartbulbs, fixation cross color in procedures)
- Adjustable chart colors
Oscilloscope background, chart line, and axis description
- New pie charts
Featuring many parameters to analyse your session (number of SCR, SCR/min, decrease-, steady-, increase-Time, etc.)
- New archive with session comparison
- Function to export all sessions at once as .ZIP file
- Questions presented after each session
Note your position during recording, electrode type and your mood, with optional notes
- Extensive, reworked Help Section
Get the Mindfield eSense App
Recently I purchased an ipad pro. I comes with usb-c connector. When I use the adapter to connect my esense temp probe the reading on the main screen is very erratic. I managed to use it once and it was great but recently it is erratic reading all the time. I tried to delete the app and reinstalled it by downloading the app again but did not help.
You may want to contact the manufacturer. The details are on the eSense package. I am not sure why it would act this way and they may have a solution.
What is the normal hand temperature? 90 or above (relaxed state)1 answer
Hand temperature varies between individuals.
- Mindfield eSense Temperature Sensor
- Hook and loop tape for attaching the sensor
- Free App by Mindfield on the App Store & Google play
- Detailed instructions for effective biofeedback training.
- Adapter for Android devices
Manuals and Data Sheets
- Measurement at 10 Hz (10 values per second)
- One value per second (averaged) is stored in the app and can be exported as a CSV file via e-mail.
- Resolution: 18bit, rounded to 2 digits after the decimal point. Not rounded for export to CSV.
Which iOS Devices are Supported?
- Apple® iPhone® from 4S
- Apple® iPad® from 2nd Generation
- Apple® iPad® Pro
- Apple® iPod touch® from 5th Generation
- Apple® iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X (in combination with the included Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter)
Which Android Devices are Supported?
- All Android smartphones and tablets from Android 4.4
- Your Android device requires a 3.5mm jack (headphone jack) for external microphones!